Thursday, December 24, 2009

How do you determine what clothes to wash in cold water?

What clothes to wash in warm water?





How do you determine what to wash together and what not to?How do you determine what clothes to wash in cold water?
Usually the washing machine will have a guide to tell you the correct temperature. The laundry detergent will have one also.





The unofficial old-fashioned rule of thumbs is White hot, Light/Mixed warm, Dark cold. By mixed, meaning clothing that has both light and dark colors on them or if you're washing light colors with white colors to save time and energy.





Dark colors are usually the standard black, navy blue, dark green, dark brown. If you throw them all in a pile and can't really distinguish any of them as being light or white, then they're dark. The same holds true for light colors, and white colors.





To preserve your colors (and conserve energy), stick to warm and cold water washing only. Warm for items more slightly soiled. Or buy a cold water detergent and only use cold water. Hope this helps!How do you determine what clothes to wash in cold water?
I read the tags for the water temp and how to dry them. I separate my clothes out by color when I wash them. I wash everything in Dreft-I started using it just for my babies, but it's awesome and it takes any stain off any kind of clothes. I wash my whites and mostly-whites (may have print or something on them) together, my darks (blacks and blues) together, my pastels together and I have a separate group that is colors that bleed easily and I wash those separate (includes new clothes, deep pinks and reds). I wash mostly everything in cold so that it doesn't shrink. I wash my kids' clothes on warm, our towels on warm, and sheets on hot. My husband and I just use cold-it's safer that way.
wash anything you deem as bright colors in cold water. the warmer/hotter the water, the more likely the colors will leak...so if you put a bright red shirt in with white socks on hot, it will result in a bright red shirt and probably pink socks. only wash whites in hot, and subtle colors in warm. you can be safe and wash everything in cold, that isnt a problem and some detergents are made for cold water specifically.
The darker the colour, the more likely it is that the dye will run - so keep black,navy,dark brown, red etc. together and don't wash them in very hot water - 40 to 50 degrees max. Always wash whites with whites, never mix with other colours. Bed linen and cotton tee shirts can take 60 to 70 degrees especially if they are white. Pastel shades eg pink, light green, grey, light blue can be washed together at 40-50 degrees. Delicate items like lingerie or knitwear need a cool short wash. I would only wash dark colours in cold water; lighter colours will still look dirty.
Here's my formulas for what gets washed in what temps. If I have linen or rayon fabrics, NO HOT or WARM water, only cold. I read the care instructions on all my clothes, so I know which ones need ';special'; care, and which ones can be lumped in with general care. General care is as follows: Dark colors, cold water. Light colors, if extra cleaning or filthy, warm water wash, warm water rinse. Cottons, towels, bed sheets, HOT WATER. Comforters, unless filthy, WARM WASH WARM RINSE, unless otherwise noted. I NEVER wash whites with ANYTHING other than OTHER WHITES. This keeps them BRIGHT and keeps them from turning DINGY. I never mix anything red with light colors or whites, EVER! I might throw in something blue with the whites, but NEVER reds of any kind, they ALWAYS go in with the darks! When in doubt, read the care label, if that isn't good enough, wash in cold water, cold rinse. Can rarely go wrong with that. Pretreating stains is essential, and the sooner the better. I can pretreat and throw it in the laundry cart to be washed, unless it needs soaking. I use bleach occasionally, Oxy Clean when needed and borax and baking soda are my friend in the laundry room. Everyone I know brings me their stains they can't get out and call me the Stain Queen, not sure if thats praise or insult! LOL! Hope this helps you!
I have very few whites and I wash those together. I use cold water on all of my clothes. The only time I use the dryer is when I dry my clothes a short time for the day I am going to wear them to get the wrinkles out.
I'm lazier than my husband...he does his own laundry and splits up his whites, his towels, his pastels, and his darks. I usually only break it up between pastels/whites (warm water) and colors/darks (cold water) unless I'm bleaching my whites.
Wash all dark colors in cold water....anything that is 100% cotton in cold water......medium colors in warm........I never wash any clothing items in HOT water.....Most clothing has a label how to wash
i wash everything except whites in cold water. i use tide cold water detergent also.
Read the tags. I wash everything in cold it helps with the gas bill. If it is new jeans or something I will use warm to set them.

No comments:

Post a Comment