Thursday, December 24, 2009

What am I supposed to wash in hot water?

Generally speaking, what do you wash in hot water and what do you wash in cold water? I'm not going through and reading all the labels on all my clothes. What about wash rags and towels? What about business casual work clothes (slacks and button up shirt)? I just wash everything in cold water b/c I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I do try to separate heavy things like towels and jeans from lighter stuff like shirts and what not simply because they take forever to dry.What am I supposed to wash in hot water?
I wash most whites in hot water with bleach, except delicate sweaters and silks. Those go in a separate small load in cold and delicate cycle. You do need to check your labels.





Jeans go in a load by themselves, or with blacks as the dyes in them can sometimes run, in cold water.





All other laundry goes in cold water, to preserve the colors, with no bleach at all, but stains pretreated with Shout or something like it.





I wash reds separately because sometimes red dyes can run also, even in things that have been washed several times.What am I supposed to wash in hot water?
It's generally safe to wash whites in hot water, and colors or delicate fabrics in cold water. If there is no danger of shrinkage or fading, you can wash colors in warm water in the permanent press cycle. Wash cloths and towels can be washed in warm water. Generally, most fabrics can be washed in either warm or cold. The secret is in the sorting, as you should wash all like things together, such as all whites, all light colors, all dark colors, etc., to eliminate the possibility of fading or colors bleeding on to whites or lights. Generally, the manufacturer of washing machines have a manual to advise the proper care of clothing, included with their product.
I wash all underwear, linens (including sheets), in hot water. I separate our clothes into jeans, sweats, jackets,work shirts, and finer clothing in separate piles, and wash them in cold and the appropriate setting according to the dirt level.
You should always wash under clothes, at least the cotton/cotton blends, and towels in hot water. The rest depends upon the label on the item you want to wash. With so many different fabrics and blends, its best to go by the label. You also need to separate colors. Try to keep the work clothes separate from everything else to avoid ';accidents';. Nothing like a white shirt that has mysteriously become some off pink or gray. Good Luck.
I like to wash whites in hot water..Others like jeans, etc cold seems to do just as well. If I have greasy coveralls or jeans..I use Hot %26amp; a longer cycle..For soap..I like Arm %26amp; Hammer with the blue top..cheap %26amp; washes well.
I would wash whites, towels and sheets in hot water. shirts, jeans and sweats in cold water. generally if i don't want something to shrink i wash it in cold water and hang it to dry.You are right you should dry heavy things and light things separately.
whites are supposed to be washed in hot water and dark clothes are supposed to be washed in cold thats all you need to know the basics.
Hot water - whites with bleach added while filling with water, along with the detergent; add clothes after tub has filled





warm water - your casual work clothes on permanent press setting, no chlorine bleach but color safe bleach okay





cold water - good for fabrics that bleed





sort your clothes by color; wash towels %26amp; jeans like your doing.





You're doing ok
  • camera
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment