Sunday, December 20, 2009

How to wash a water bottle to keep it santized without getting sick?

I have sport water bottles and I am wondering what is a good way to keep it clean without having to worry about getting sick using it.How to wash a water bottle to keep it santized without getting sick?
Hot water, use dish washing liquid, and if that doesn't work, add a little chlorine or bleach to the water too, and then turn it upside down on the drying rack to let it dry for a few hours.


Also water bottles are not that expensive and they do get past their prime after awhile (I am one to talk, I have gotten years of use out of a bottle).





After I clean mine I leave it in the fridge so when I go out in warm weather it will stay a little cooler longer.How to wash a water bottle to keep it santized without getting sick?
3 parts water and one part vinegar. let it set for a while then rinse it until the vinegar smell is gone.
Whatever method you choose to use make sure you turn the bottle upside down to dry.
If you're using bottles that you've 'recycled' (empty water bottles that you're just refilling at home) to be economical, only do it for so long and then toss 'em... all those little crevices and stuff are hard to keep clean. AND the type of plastic they're made of isn't meant to be exposed over and over again to high temperatures like you find in the dishwasher.





If you're talking about an athletic bottle that comes with a bike or that you purchased, I'd say make sure you rinse it out immediately after using it. That's the first step in making sure you're not creating a breeding ground for mold or bacteria. Dump and rinse it the minute you get home.





Second, if you have a dishwasher, that should be sufficient to get it clean. If you are a little on the obsessive side, then boil some water, fill the bottle to the top and let it sit for five minutes. That'll do it.





With bleach, my only thing is that it's so strong you can sometimes still taste/smell it if you haven't used a weak enough dillution/rinsed the bottle well enough... but that's just me.





Good luck.
The same way you would wash ANY cup or glass by hand. You don't have to use any special chemical to keep it clean, but I WOULD wash it after each use.
I'd use a tiny bit of bleach, with hot water, swish! I rinse mine off everytime I get ready to refill mine, just cause I dont want ';germy germs on mine'; Im funny like that. Keep the cap clean
use hot water with vinegar and let it sit overnight
bleach is the key no bleach try pouring a small amount half a cup of rapid boil water in and shake it with the lid on also try to air dry to kill germs
Boil hot water and wash it in that. How would you get sick? It's water. The only way you would get sick is if there is some other substance in the bottle, or whatever you use to clean it. I mean, this question is weird because I don't know how else you'd get sick. Wash it like you do any other dish. I mean you don't get sick after washing a glass and drinking from it. Wash it, then put it on the dish rack to dry.
Wash it in the dishwasher, make sure you have it set to dry as well, the heat from dry mode is hot enough to sanitize.
I use those tablets that you use to clean false teeth, they clean teapots and stains from teacups and they're harmless...coz the teeth are meant to go back in your mouth after you use the tablets...drop half a talbet in, fill bottle with hot water, leave over night, rinse out well and use.
Put a teaspoon of bleach in it with hot water. Swish it around for a minute or so. Rinse thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment